Quarter Deficiency














Day 3

The first night sleeping under the stars on the firm ground wasn't half bad, giving me the confidence that I could continue to do it for the rest of the trip. Feeling dirty and smelling of a campfire, the three of us girls were in need of a shower. Skeptical about the type of shower we were in for, we headed off grabbing our towels, shower caddies, and wallets. Upon arriving at the bathrooms, Chloe noticed that the prepaid machines took only quarters. Amongst the three of us, we had roughly five or six which was not enough for the rates it was requesting. Telling ourselves, it's only a minor issue; Lucy ran up front to the rangers office to exchange a few bills for extra coins.

The second minor issue arose when we tried to use the showers! Lucy went first, deserving it fully after making a run the other two of us didn't want to. Unfortunately for her, the water was cold for most of the allotted time she had. I felt guilty but needed to take my turn as well, lucky enough to have it warm but still rushing so Chloe could have a turn too before the water shut off. Last was surprisingly the best though; the dated shower did not turn off as expected. Chloe felt pretty horrible for us both, but Lucy was indifferent about the whole thing. I knew we'd make up for it later, so I wasn't too worried either.

I opted for a quick breakfast, cereal and fruit, after the morning shower debacle. Then we were off to the national parks most prominent hike Damnation Trail which leads up to Hidden Beach. This moderate hike was a 7-mile round trip, and my favorite moment was the walk through the transition from forest to beach. It was exactly like the kind of beauty I'd seen before in movies, and suddenly I was living it, walking through hundreds possibly thousands of flowers and sand reeds. Making it down to the bottom of the trail were two paths, one took us down to touch the water, and the other took us across to a boulder in the sea.

The entire adventure was incredible, hiking for a couple of hours and spending time exploring the beach. After a long day, we were ready for dinner, so it was time to invest in our Coleman portable stove. Costing about four times less than I anticipated, we decided to get extra propane. On our drive to Safeway to pick it all up, I panicked and just about jumped out of the car when I noticed a GIANT beetle in my hair. Once at the store, Lucy caught the bug from under the seat and released it back into the wild. Then we went back to our campsite and enjoyed a wonderful fajita dinner.

P.s. We rocked ALL our camp dinners ;)

xoxo,
Andrea Aloren

Comments

Popular Posts